Public Records Request
PLEASE NOTE THAT STUDENT TRANSCRIPT REQUESTS ARE HANDLED THROUGH THE SECONDARY OFFICE (401)734-3021 OR Karen.Loiselle@warwickschools.org
SPECIAL EDUCATION STUDENT RECORDS ARE HANDLED THROUGH THE SPECIAL SERVICES OFFICE (401)734-3051 OR Nina.McGurrin@warwickschools.org
Warwick Public Schools
Public Records Request Procedure
Pursuant to Rhode Island General Laws 38-2-3 (d), Warwick Public Schools has adopted the following procedure to help you obtain public records:
1) The designated Public Records Officer for the Warwick Public Schools is Katherine Duncanson, Executive Director of Human Resources. Ms. Duncanson is located in the Warwick Public Schools Administration Building, Human Resources Office, located at 69 Draper Avenue, Warwick, R.I. 02889. Normal business hours for the Administration Building 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday – Friday.
2) In order to request to inspect and/or to obtain copies of documents maintained by the Warwick Public Schools, it is requested that you complete a Public Records Request Form or otherwise provide a written request for records that clearly identifies the records you seek and states that your request is made pursuant to the Access to Public Records Act. A written request for public records need not be made on the form if the request is otherwise readily identifiable as a request for public records.
As stated in RIGL Section 38-2-2 (c), a written request for public information need not be submitted for records available pursuant to RIGL Section 42-35-2 or for those documents that are prepared for or readily available to the public.
3) Requests to inspect public records can be mailed or hand delivered to:
Warwick Public Schools Administration Building
69 Draper Avenue
Warwick, R.I. 02889
and directed to the attention of:
E-mail requests must be sent to: email@example.com
Faxed requests must be sent to: 401-734-3100.
4) There are times when the public records that you seek are not available at the time of your request. Please be advised that the Access to Public Records Act allows a public body ten (10) business days to respond and, with “good cause,” may extend the time to respond by twenty (20) business days (thirty (30) business days total).
5) If after review of your request, the Warwick Public Schools determines that the requested records are exempt from disclosure for a reason set forth in RI General Laws 38-2-2(4) (i) (A)-(Y), the Warwick Public Schools reserves its right to claim such an exemption.
6) The Access to Public Records Act gives you the opportunity to view and/or copy public records. The cost per copied page of written public documents is fifteen cents ($0.15) per page for documents. The Act permits a charge of fifteen dollars ($15.00) per hour for search and retrieval of documents, with no charge for the first hour. We will provide you with an estimate of copying and retrieval costs, if you so request.
7) If you feel that you have been denied access to public records, you have the right to file an appeal with the Rhode Island Attorney General. If you are still not satisfied, you may file a lawsuit in Superior Court. See RI General Law 38-2-8.
The Warwick Public Schools is committed to providing you with public records in an expeditious and courteous manner.