The Town of Warwick was facing overcrowding after World
War II. Even the new Aldrich High school being opened, did not relieve the huge number of elementary students in
the Pawtuxet/Lakewood area.
School superintendent, Warren A. Sherman recommended to the School Committee that a new 12 room school be built
in the Gaspee Plateau section. The building opened its doors in September 1936. In 1952 the basement was converted
to classrooms. When the annex opened in 1968, 20 rooms were being used to house 700 students. This annex currently
houses first grade, kindergarten and special education classrooms and a library.
The latest addition to E. T. Wyman helped to commemorate the 60th anniversary. An all purpose room, mini kitchen
and an elevator linked the old with the new and lending the three floor building handicap accessible. Renovations
were made in 1997 to put in a wall to provide a music/band room and an art room. As we look to the future, the
next project starting in September 1998, is a renovation to the school library.