Built in 1954, finished and opened in February 1955, John Wickes School originally
consisted of only fifteen rooms. The annex which presently houses grade six, music, and art was added three years
later. In March 1968 the rooms now used for grade two were constructed. Thus eight rooms were added to the original
Our school is named after John Wickes, a direct descendent of John Greene. In the early 1640ís, John Wickes joined
with a group of ten men and transacted a deed in 1642 to buy what is now Warwick, West Warwick, and Coventry from
the Indian Sachem Miantonomy. Throughout his life, John Wickes was a prominent government and business participant.
John Wickes died an untimely death during the King Phillips War in 1676. He is buried in the Greene family cemetery
along West Shore Road, almost opposite Wharf Avenue. Our school is honored to bear the name of this brave pioneer.